Dr. Ming Jiang received his B.Eng. degree in Communication Engineering and M.Eng. degree in Communication and Information Systems, both at South China University of Technology (SCUT), and his Ph.D. degree in Electronics and Electrical Engineering at the University of Southampton, U.K., which tops all UK universities in this field for consecutive years, under the supervision of Prof. Lajos Hanzo.
Dr. Jiang has substantial overseas and industrial experience with Fortune 500 telecom companies, holding key R&D and/or management positions at Samsung Electronics Research Institute (SERI), U.K., Nortel's R&D Centre in southern China, and telecom equipment maker New Postcom, China. He has led or actively participated in various international projects across the EU, North America and Asia on advanced telecommunication product/system design, standardization, as well as research on cutting-edge mobile communication technologies. In June 2013, he joined the School of Information Science and Technology (now known as School of Electronics and Information Technology, SEIT), Sun Yat-sen University (SYSU), as a Full Professor and a Ph.D. Supervisor supported by the "100 Top Talents Program".
Dr. Jiang is the recipient of several Government Awards, e.g. Top Overseas Scholars of Guangdong Province, 100 Innovative Leading Talents of Guangzhou City, "1-2-1" Talents of Guangzhou City, Outstanding Experts of Guangzhou City, etc. He is also an IEEE Senior Member and an Accredited Senior Engineer in Communication Technologies in China.
Currently, Dr. Jiang serves as the Deputy Director of the State-Province Joint IoT Engineering Laboratory and Director of Guangdong Province IoT Engineering Laboratory.
Next-generation wireless mobile communications, including MIMO, OFDM, VLC/VLP, A2X/V2X/D2D, signal coding/detection, channel estimation, ICIC, CoMP, HetNets, SON, etc.
Familiar with advanced mobile communication systems, algorithms, simulations, as well as international telecommunication standards including 3GPP LTE/LTE-Advanced and IEEE WiMAX. Has demonstrated sophisticated experience in scientific work publishing, patent applications, R&D, team mentoring, project management and multi-national collaborations.
- Participated in the Mobile VCE Core 3/Core 4 Research Program on Advanced Air Interfaces of Next-Generation Wireless Systems.
- As a core staff member, participated in Samsung's Global WiMAX standardization projects.
- As a core staff member and Samsung representative, also the Technical Interface of WG2 to the Concept Group, participated in the EU FP6 WINNER-II (Wireless-World-Initiative New Radio) project.
- As a core staff member and Samsung representative, also the Task Leader of two Tasks, participated in the EU FP7 DAVINCI (Design and Versatile Implementation of Non-binary Wireless Communications Based on Innovative LDPC Codes) project.
- As Manager and Technical Lead of the 4G LTE Simulation Team at Guangdong Nortel, Nortel's R&D division in southern China, accomplished 19 international projects for Nortel's global customers including tier-one operators such as Verizon Wireless, AT&T, T-Mobile, KDDI, etc.
- As Associate Director of Corporate R&D Institute, Director of Guangzhou R&D Institute, and Director of Department of Systems and Standards at New Postcom, responsible for TDD/FDD dual-mode LTE Base Stations, Core Networks and WLAN product lines, as well as for 3GPP LTE/LTE-A standardization and advanced research, and also served as the PI of the Strategic New Industrial Development Project of the Guangdong Province, China, "Next-generation Mobile Communication Base Stations R&D and Industrialization" in 2011-2013.
MAIN PROJECTS SINCE JOINING SYSU
- 2013.06-2015.06: PI of the SYSU 100 Top Talents Program
- 2014.01-2015.12: PI of the Pilot Project of SYSU-CMU Shunde International Joint Research Institute (JRI),
Research and Development of Key Technologies for Heterogeneous Self-Organizing Wireless Networks
- 2014.09-2016.08: PI of the SYSU Innovative Project, Teaching and Course Design for Communication Engineering with Introduction to 4G LTE Technologies and Applications
- 2015.01-2016.12: PI of the Science and Technology Program Project of Guangdong Province, Smart Shelf Label and Guide System Based on Visible Light Communication
- 2015.04-2016.03: PI of the Coolpad Collaborative Project, Research and Standardization on Device-to-Device Technologies
- 2015.07-2017.06: Lead Participant of the Innovation Team Project of SYSU-CMU Shunde International Joint Research Institute (JRI), Research and Development of LiFi-aided Indoor Positioning Technologies and System
- 2016.06-2017.06: PI of the CETC 7 Research Institute Collaborative Project, LTE-A D2D Research and Simulation Analysis
- 2016.09-2017.09: PI of the Coolpad Collaborative Project, D2D Standardization and V2X Applications
- 2016.01-2017.12: PI of the Science and Technology Program Project of Guangdong Province, LiFi Smart Lighting Product Research and Development
- 2016.06-2020.06: Lead Participant of the Guangdong NSFC Project, Research on Capacity and PHY Technologies of Visible Light Communication Systems
- 2018.01-2021.12: PI of the National Natrual Science Foundation of China (NSFC) General Project, Research on Selected Key Technologies for Underwater High-speed Optical Wireless Communication Systems
- 2019.04-2021.03：SYSU PI of Guangzhou Industrial Technology Major Research Program, Multi-dimensional Big Data Based Intelligent Analysis and Application for Broadband Enterprise Networks
- 2019.07-2023.06: PI of the Sub-Project of National Key Research and Development Program, Research and Evaluation on Key Technologies of High-speed Communication Networks in Marine Environment
- 2020.01-2022.12: PI of the Key-Area Research and Development Program of Guangdong Province, Research and Verification of B5G New Access and Transmission Technologies
- 2022.11-2026.10: SYSU PI of the Sub-Project of National Key Research and Development Program, Key Technologies of Wireless Optical Communication for Complex Deep Sea Environment
- 2023.01-2026.12: PI of the National Natrual Science Foundation of China (NSFC) General Project, Research on Transmission Technologies of Broadband Underwater Wireless Optical Communication Systems Based on Multiary Information and Non-ideal Conditions
- 6 books
- 90+ papers in prestigious international journals and conferences (incl. Invited Cover Paper of Proc. of the IEEE, WINSYS 2022 Best Student Paper)
- 100+ patents
- 400+ technical contributions to 3GPP LTE/LTE-Advanced and IEEE WiMAX standardization
- Senior Member of the IEEE (Since 2013)
- Deputy Director of the Expert Committee of the Guangdong Provincial Internet of Things Association (2020-2023)
- Project Evaluation Expert for National Nature Science Foundation of China (Since 2018)
- Project Evaluation Expert for Guangdong Science and Technology Program and Nature Science Foundation Program (Since 2015)
- Expert Consultant of Guangzhou Government on Key Administration Policy Making (2015-2020)
- Expert Consultant of Guangdong Unicom on Smart City (2014-2016)
- Conference General Chair: LOPET (2023)
- Conference Technical Program Committee Co-Chair: ICCCM (2023)
- Industry Summit Sub-summit Chair: Global 5G Technology Summit (2016)
- Conference Track Co-Chair: IEEE VTC (2017)
- Conference Symposium Co-Chair: IEEE WCSP (2019)
- Conference Session Chair: IEEE ICCC (2021), IEEE ICC (2019), IEEE VTC (2017/2016), IEEE ICC (2015), IEEE WCNC (2009), etc.
- Conference Keynote Speaker: LOPET (2023), IoTAIMA (2023), DTIS (2022), Guangdong Ericsson Industrial Forum (2020), Huawei Network Technologies Forum (2020), WiCOM (2017), Summit Forum of Advances in New IoT Industries (2016)
- Conference Invited Speaker: ICGMRS (2023), ICCCM (2022), ICOEO (2022), NOOSF (2022), LTO (2020), SOCN (2020), OMTA (2020), ACP (2017)
- Conference TPC member: IEEE ICC/VTC/PIMRC/ICCC/WiMob/ICCVE/etc.
- Journal reviewer: IEEE TWC/TC/T-IT/TVT/WCL/SPL/CL/Access, IET Comms/EL, EURASIP JWCN, Wiley ETT, etc.
TEACHING FOR UNDERGRADUTES
- MATLAB Programming and Simulations (2014-Now)
- Principles of Communications (2014-Now)
TEACHING FOR POSTGRADUTES
- Principles of Modern Communications (2016-Now)